Date: 2013-4-4

Elly Created: Feb 2013
Topic: 1
Replies: 12
Horses: 3
Photo albums: 3
Videos: 4

Challenging Behaviour

Hi everyone, my youngster has just turned 2. She is very sweet and loving most of the time, but she is getting big and just starting to challenge me.

She sometimes refuses to back up when I go in the stable to get her feed bowl in the morning and will squeal and and kick out, especially if I try and move her.......she will do the same in the field if you have something she wants.
She can also get impatient if she has to stand and wait sometimes and will start getting a bit pushy.

I've never had a horse as young as this before and I want to get it right.......Any advice on how to deal with this would be gratefully received

Go to last reply »

Replies to: Challenging Behaviour

• Malene H Created: Jan 2013
    Topics: 90
    Replies: 72
    Horses: 1
    Photo albums: 8
    6 years ago

She seems like a clever girl. It is important that you show her who's boss, but not through punishment. She must be challenged and complimented
    It could be an advantage for you if you bought a Monty Roberts halter (it is very important that it is the right size), it is really good when you have to walk her??, and in the paddock. You can perhaps use it on her before feeding. Go with the rope loose and give a quick jerk, if she is not listening and remember to give in as soon as she listens.

You must challenge her when she's smart

• Elly Created: Feb 2013
    6 years ago

Thank you for your reply - I think you are right about her being clever - she learns things very quickly!

I was thinking of getting her a Monty Roberts halter because at the moment I am relying on her good nature when I walk her, how do you make sure that the size is right? I usually put her headcollar on after she's been fed, but I could certainly put in on her beforehand. Can she wear it out in the paddock?

6 years ago

You can try to look it up in the Monty Roberts website, but I believe that the halter need to sit like a bridle - two fingers from the cheekbones, and when it is used for a while, it should be tightened. She can not wear it out in the paddock - then she´ll get hurt.
    When you buy you´ll get a dvd with many great advice

6 years ago

My horse use a black halter - I think this is normal, like full or something - but if she has a big head its the blue one. Red is for small ponies.

6 years ago

Thank you Malene. I've been having a look at some on Ebay, it says black up to 16hh and for TBs. But she does have quite a big head so I think it will need to be blue. I though perhaps I should get a long line too?

Can you use to help with picking out her feet too? Sometimes she is realy good, but other times she can be a bit naughty (when she wants her tea normally!)

6 years ago

I think that it could be a good idea with a long line - It allows you to keep a greater distance if the horse gets scared.
    Try to looks in this thread; http://horses.bazoom.com/uk/forum/training/2244-do-you-go-for-a-walk-with-your-horse

Im not sure if I understand your last questation right - but do you ark if you can use the halter when she is haven her feet done? I believe that you can use it for that if you are standing with in a rope - you can tie her up with this halter - then she´ll get hurt. - What is her tea?

6 years ago

Sorry, yes I meant having somone holding her instead of tying her up to do her feet. Her 'tea' is just another word for 'dinner' - it's a bit of an English word! lol.

Thank you for your help and advice

6 years ago

My pleasure

• Sarah B Created: Mar 2013
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 43
    Photo albums: 1
    6 years ago

just to let you know a be nice halter is a great way to gain a bit of respect when its needed, i used a blue one on my 14.1 cob for a while, it acts on the poll and a short sharp tug a few times is very often all it takes

6 years ago

Thank you Sarah, I will have a look at that one too.

• Ann W Created: Nov 2012
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 102
    6 years ago

Hi my mare used to be very rude and territorial over her feeds, she slammed me against the door frame of her stable within the first couple of days of me having her..I banged my head and saw stars believe me... All I did was use one finger.. whenever she barged me I would poke her in the chest and say back as I did this... She is 16.1hh and I am 5 foot nothing... within a couple of days she soon learned to go backwards on verbal cue without a poke in the chest... It also teaches respect of your personal space... not to enter unless they are invited.... Hope this helps x

6 years ago

He's a tip... don't try to pick her feet out when she is having her tea... she will be concentrating on the feed only... Tie her up with a normal head collar & leadrope to a bungee or piece of baling string to a tie ring.... The go round asking her to lift each foot as you walk around her... do this daily not only when picking her feet out.. tell her what a good girl she is... plz don't mix feeding and picking feet out at same time.... not a good idea... x

6 years ago

Sorry to say a be nice headcollar in the hands of a novice... with a youngster... is not the best idea... the metal nodules on the headcollar can inflict pain if the leadrope is tugged heavily.... You cannot know which reaction the youngster is going to take with this equipment.... please seek advice the help and advice of another person if you are not confident yourself... anyone can give advice... it is what you do with it that matters.... Good luck with your youngster

6 years ago

Hi Ann thank you for your advice.
    Someone I know recommended the finger in the chest and it really works with her, she usually just goes off in digust when I say back in a deep voice now! Although a couple of times she has then turned and faced me and done small bounces off her front feet and waved her head about like she's trying to confront me, I've ignored her when she does it though.

I never pick her feet out when shes eating her food ( I think it must have just come accross that way when I wrote it). I tie her up and do them before she goes in to her stable, but she knows dinner is coming so she can be a bit impatient and snatch her feet away sometimes, even though she has a haynet in front of her............I do try and hold on though! I think its just a matter of patience and perserverence.
    I've not got the headcollar yet, I'm going to see how it goes for now. My friend does natural horsmanship training, so I'm going to ask her to come out and do some work with us too....

6 years ago

So glad the finger in the chest really works well... She is facing up to you to see who moves first.. You have to stand your ground and stand in a dominant manner, it's not shouting or being loud it's saying I'm in control.... I am your leader.... She will need to respect you.... this just builds with time... Wish you lots of luck with her.... x

6 years ago

Thank you for all the feedback and advice. Well I decided to go with the finger in the chest and look her straight in the eye approach and it has worked!!!! I now only have to point and she will go straight to the back of the stable and won't dare challenge me for her feed. She is the same in the field too, she has learned to respect my space. She gets a fuss made of her when she is good and lots of praise which she loves! I think a lot of it has been me getting confident and her learning what is acceptable behaviour. She is like a different horse now Once again thank you everyone x

Reply to: Challenging Behaviour

Bazoom Horses uses cookies to remember your settings, target ads and for statistical data.         Read more...