Sarah BSarah BUser on welcome to horses.bazoom.com - we love passionate people
Date: 2013-7-20

Sarah B Created: Mar 2013
Topics: 13
Replies: 43
Horses: 1
Photo albums: 1

coping with the heat.

Just wondering how everyone copes with there horses during the heat wave, my boy has been stabled during the day and out at night, im sure he thinks hes on holiday as my daughter hasnt ridden him for two weeks now

Go to last reply »

Replies to: coping with the heat.

• Claire L Created: Jan 2013
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 161
    Photo albums: 11
    6 years ago

Dorrie seems to cope really well with the heat Sarah. I've been riding her early in the mornings this week ( 6am !) mainly because the sand school is not to dusty, thanks to the dew and its lovely and cool. The ground is way too hard for me to risk schooling her in the field though.
    We competed in a County Show last weekend, (not jumping) it was scorching. We kept the warm up to a minimum because of the hard ground but I have to say that the heat didn't bother her at all, she was just as enthusiastic as normal

• Sarah B Created: Mar 2013
    6 years ago

monty doesnt do the heat very well, makes him very lazy., carnt say i blame him. its not possible for louise to ride before school, we both leave the house at 7.45 and its to hot when she gets back , i know the other option would be later on in the evening but then shes in bed. i shall be glad when she breaks up!! lol

• Malene H Created: Jan 2013
    Topics: 90
    Replies: 72
    Photo albums: 8
    6 years ago

I´ve just found this;

Dehydration in horses can be deadly: what you need to know

Dehydration in horses will not only affect a horse’s performance — it can also be life threatening. During the past few years, long hot dry spells have been rare in the UK, but when they do occur, such as now, owners need to take extra precautions to keep their horses fit and well.

Avoiding dehydration in horses

Have fresh, clean water available at all times. Do not restrict your horse’s access to water at competitions. If your horse does not like the taste of water when you travel, take some from home or flavour it with something like mint, apple juice or one of the special products designed to help horses drink that are now on the market.

For a horse who doesn’t drink well, a switch to haylage can be advisable because of its higher moisture content. This provides the horse with water and may reduce the risk of colic. Soaked hay is a cheaper alternative.

After exercise on a hot day, reduce sweat losses by cooling your horse off thoroughly as soon as possible after exercise. Once the horse stops sweating, it will become less dehydrated.

At summer competitions, try to keep your horse in the shade wherever possible. Your horse will be losing water without you necessarily being able to see it.

Measuring dehydration in horses

The gold standard test is to take a blood sample as this will reveal the level of proteins in the plasma and the proportion of red blood cells in the blood compared with the plasma.

However, there are other, more practical, indicators of dehydration that you can keep an eye out for:
    ?A horse that produces dark urine or who has not passed urine for some time
    ?The appearance of the mucous membranes — if they are congested and are red in appearance, the horse is dehydrated

For a long time the skin pinch test was used to test hydration levels. The skin, typically over the neck, is pinched up and the time it takes to return to normal is counted in seconds. However, several recent studies have shown that this is not a particularly good indicator of dehydration, so is best avoided.

6 years ago

thankyou malene for taking the time to post the above comment i hope plenty of others read this x

6 years ago

I can remember counting the days until the end of the wretched School run Sarah
    I had some issues with getting Dorrie to drink when we are out competing. I have had to take the trug that she has in her stable at home, as she flatly refused to drink from random buckets !! Fussy mare I also think that soaked hay helps to get extra hydration into them.

6 years ago

I like that idea claire, to soak hay will add mosture and our grass has turned brown now so i have been feeding a pressing of hay each day

6 years ago

Gosh Sarah, it must have been seriously hot where you are ! We still have green grass thankfully.

• Simone Mareike B Created: Jun 2013
    Topic: 1
    Replies: 8
    Photo albums: 3
    Videos: 1
    6 years ago

Our grass here in Denmark isn´t green anymore either :/

Hulder is fortunately coping well with the heat.
    I ride him early in the morning (7 am) - when I´m not at work - or late in the evening (8 pm).

6 years ago

claire where are you? we are in evesham worcestershire the temp has been 35c today and only dropping to 20c tonight phewwww. we havent had rain for getting on for 6 weeks.

6 years ago

I'm in Leicestershire Sarah It's been hot and sunny here, generally around 25c but nowhere near as hot as 35c ! (today it reached 31c). Still plenty of green grass thankfully. We have had a mahoosive thunder storm with monsoon style rain this evening so hopefully it will cool down a little.

Glad to hear Hulder is coping with the heat Simone

6 years ago

my boy is such a woos, he was waiting at the gate to come in at 6.30 this morning. (for gods sake monty your an irish cob!!!)

6 years ago

Claire L: You can add some apple juice in her water - it will get her to drink more water. Many riders use it when they are to a competition

6 years ago

Ooops ! Sorry Kelly i was thinking of Sarahs fired crisp and dried paddocks

6 years ago

funny thing is also monty would rather drink rain water than tap water

6 years ago

They are fussy are't they Sarah Monty is obviously a sensitive Irish boy.

I will try the apple juice Malene, though I will probably get some sugar free, as we are already accomplished enough in speed dressage

6 years ago

Kelly you are so right, we really do need some rain. The ground is like concrete and the sand school is like a desert and is consequently way too dusty to ride in. You've got to love the UK, it's either too hot, too wet, too windy or too snowy to ride

• Gillian W Created: Jan 2013
    Replies: 23
    Horses: 2
    6 years ago

Hello girls, my two seem to be coping really well with the heat although Charm has been a bit short tempered at times (not like her at all). They are lucky to be able to stand in their stables (doors open) and go back and forth to the paddock when they feel like it. The summer is fabulous if you have nothing to do ha ha!! They have also enjoyed a few cool baths!!

6 years ago

We have only had one heavy shower up here in Northumberland for the last month, the paddocks are quite brown and the ground is rock hard so out came the haylage!

6 years ago

Lol Kelly, how very generous of you It has arrived, you even thought to send monsoon rains as well

6 years ago

Hi Gillian, it sounds like you have the perfect set up for your two. We still have green paddocks here in Leicestershire, and thanks to Kelly we even have lakes in the middle of them

6 years ago

Well Claire, Kelly's rain is now with us and it has thrown it down for the last 6 hours. I think the ponies are enjoying it. I am off now to muck the stables out as it is a bit cooler. No thunder yet thank goodness!!

6 years ago

Kelly certainly likes to share that rain around Gillian Our paddocks were topped today, and they look fantastic now. At least the ground is a little softer, although some found it a little slippy at the show today.

6 years ago

he we are 13 august and on lammy watch, grass has gone bonkers overnight, dont think we are really ever happy with the great british weather!

6 years ago

Very true Sarah, if it's not one thing it is the other!! I am also on lammy watch!!

Reply to: coping with the heat.

Bazoom Horses uses cookies to remember your settings, target ads and for statistical data.         Read more...