Malene HMalene HUser on welcome to horses.bazoom.com - we love passionate people
Date: 2013-4-15

Malene H Created: Jan 2013
Topics: 90
Replies: 72
Horses: 1
Photo albums: 8

A good feeding plan?

A good feeding plan keeps the horse healthy. But all horses are different and that's feeding plans also
So I ask, what do you think is a good feeding plan?

How do I make a good feeding plan for my horse?

What should a good feeding plan contain?

Go to last reply »

Replies to: A good feeding plan?

• Ann W Created: Nov 2012
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 102
    6 years ago

Hi it depends on the age breed and size of your horse,the work it is doing and is it grazing or stabled.. all of this has to be taken into consideration... As a rough guide a horse should have 1% of it's body weight in roughage hay or haylage fibre cubes a day then either a mix or pencil that contains protein, chaff to stop the horse bolting it's food....

• Claire L Created: Jan 2013
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 161
    Photo albums: 11
    6 years ago

There are lots of variables to take into consideration, hours of turnout, quality of grazing, size, age and general health, and workload, so I can only speak from my experience
    I like to feed 2 to 2.5% of forage (hay) daily and have fed up up 3% in Winter when its very cold.
    I feed minimal amounts of hard food in the Summer (Winergy Low Energy) and increase the amount gradually into Winter (Winergy Veteran or Condition)
    If you horse is excitable then it may be wise not to feed anything that is mollassed or that has a high sugar content
    Supplements can also be useful, depending on each horses individual needs, and your own personal viewpoint on their benefits.

• Ann W Created: Nov 2012
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 102
    6 years ago

Great advice Bev.. couldn't agree with you more... x

• Stuart B Created: Apr 2013
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 82
    Photo albums: 1
    6 years ago

I do not think there is a plan to be had really as taking the time to look at the hoses condition attitude and the weather conditions that vary each season will say it all " As the carer of the horse we do not want obese excitable or poor condition in them ,but a well covered animal going into winter

• Andy S Created: Apr 2013
    Replies: 10
    Photo albums: 1
    6 years ago

Take a look at the thread: How can a horse loose weight.. there is an answer that fits your question too.

Reply to: A good feeding plan?

Bazoom Horses uses cookies to remember your settings, target ads and for statistical data.         Read more...