Ann WAnn WUser on welcome to horses.bazoom.com - we love passionate people
Date: 2013-4-9

Ann W Created: Nov 2012
Topics: 3
Replies: 102

Mares that don't stop producing milk after pregnancy....

Have any members had a mare that still produces milk... Years after being pregnant ?
My mare had a foal in 2007, she still produces milk have tried everything.... Any ideas ?

Go to last reply »

Replies to: Mares that don't stop producing milk after pregnancy....

• Malene H Created: Jan 2013
    Topics: 90
    Replies: 72
    Horses: 1
    Photo albums: 8
    6 years ago

Your veterinarian can give your horse an injection that will stop the milk production.

• Ann W Created: Nov 2012
    6 years ago

I have tried injections when I first bought my mare 6 years ago... she turned into a stallion for 15 minutes. Dragged me round the menege and then when the injection wore off she still had milk.... She had a bad case of mastitis on New Years Eve... But just check her daily and strip any milk if she fills up on my vets advice...

6 years ago

does she goes along with foal still or other young horses?
    Mares can still produce milk if this is the case

6 years ago

No I actually keep her on her own... she has been in a field previouosly with mares and foals and she takes the foals away from their Mums and nannies them, She is wonderful with youngsters... the foals only had milk from their Mums... can't fault her she is lovely and looks after them great..

6 years ago

Oh, she seems wonderful. I think that she misses being a mum - Maybe you should use her as a breastfeeding mare, then she can help all the foals, who needs a mum, and she would be the best thats for sure.

6 years ago

I believe that it does not hurt that she produces milk but depending on the amount of milk, you should be aware that she may need to be fed some more.

6 years ago

I have replied to a few people who needed surrogates for their foals this year but no one replied or got back to me... so if for future reference remember my mare....

6 years ago

My mare is on the same maintainence diet she has been on since she got her weight back in 2007.... She is and has no problem producing milk, just means she is a bit more hormonal...

6 years ago

I´ll remember her, if I hear about any foals who need a mare.

You could also try to create a thread in here, maybe someone knows about foals, who needs a great mum like your girl

• Kate D Created: Jan 2013
    Replies: 3
    Horses: 2
    Photo albums: 1
    6 years ago

are you sure it is milk,my mare has never had a foal and she will produce a milky like substance in summer when the grass is rich and she carries a lot of weight.My other horse who has had foals will also do this,was told by vet yrs ago its to do with grass x

6 years ago

No my mare has has mastitis as recently as New Years Eve... My vet is researching for me... due to trying hormonal treatment in the past with her... x

Reply to: Mares that don't stop producing milk after pregnancy....

Bazoom Horses uses cookies to remember your settings, target ads and for statistical data.         Read more...